It wasn't too bad: 130/86.
I asked my doctor if I could lower my blood pressure meds. You see, my blood pressure medication is basically a hardcore diuretic, which means I pee A LOT. There are several reasons why this is incredibly annoying, but I won't divulge that now. My doctor said sure, but on three conditions:
- Lose weight
- Lower sodium intake
- Increase exercise
Better than gaining?
No exercise. The excuses are legit-ish. I got sick Wednesday and Thursday was GodawfulDayfromHellJuryDutyandFighting.
This week has been fantastically shitty in every way possible. I've hated this week. The next four weeks aren't looking much better, assuming I get put on the jury: I'll be at the courthouse during the day, then working at night to finish my projects for work.
I'm having multiple mild heartattacks over this arrangement and trying not to freak out. I will absolutely have to work out or I'll go insane. The courthouse is downtown, a few blocks from my fancypants gym, so I'll have no excuse not to go after court, right? Right??
I eat out a lot. A whole lot. Like out of the 14 meals I eat per week, 11 of those are from restaurants. Terrible idea there, Kid. Sodium, fat, etc etc. No bueno. Plus, it's so expensive.
So, I really really really need to focus on cooking and eating at home. Maybe eating out twice per week.
So that solves the sodium issue. The exercising more and losing weight go hand-in-hand.
Tomorrow my best friend and I are going hiking. Like me, she struggles with her weight. We're both pretty out of shape, which is great--neither of us will feel like such a loser. We're not hiking anything epic, just a simple 3-mile, level-3 trail. At 0900. On a Saturday. Wow. Go Jen!
So I have three weeks to prove to my doctor I don't need to be on such a high dose of BP meds. I told her I didn't want to contribute to the obesity problem. She looked at me, a bit shocked, and speechless for a good few seconds.
My self awareness and straightforwardness does shock some, I suppose. I know I'm very overweight. I know I have control over my weight. I know that I am directly contributing to the obesity epidemic and all the problems and costs associated with it. I don't want to be a fatty statistic.
My goals for the next three weeks:
- Lose 10 pounds (weigh in at 178 pounds on 30 July)
- Maintain or improve current BP (my cousin who lives with me is a nurse, so I will have her take my BP daily)
- Exercise for at least one hour 4x a week (12x total)
- Eat out no more than 6 times total
No comments:
Post a Comment